Sunday, January 11, 2015

SUNDAY: Skillet Season


I heard the sound of clanking metal and I knew Arbner had arrived. Each morning when she came to care for the babies and tidy the house, she stopped at the kitchen stove to begin the ritual of seasoning my new iron skillet. This had gone on for well over a month and I had begun to regret ever buying the darn thing. The sound of clanking metal and slamming cabinet doors before eight o'clock every morning was almost unbearable. She would heat the oven, give the skillet a good 'greasin', and plop it in the oven for its daily 'seasonin' session.' She only removed it as she left in the afternoon.

The skillet was not a pleasant subject between Arbner and me. I was in my mid-twenties and she had to be over seventy, so according to her I still needed 'tendin.' She always had a lecture waiting for me on baby-rearing, cooking, or just life in general. I would hear her mumbling low, 'I don't know why she went out of here and bought a bran'-new fryin' pan--she oughta known better than that.' I would smile to myself and hope that would be the only admonishment I would receive that day.

One morning, I listened to the banging and mumbling in the distance as I looked down at my beautiful baby girl. As I gazed at her little porcelain face, I realized I held in my lap an unseasoned skillet. Every day I would slowly and patiently 'season' her in hopes that she would one day become the lovely Southern lady we all want our daughters to be. It is a slow and tedious process. Southern belles and Southern skillets--don't get in a hurry on either one. It's an hour-by-hour, day-by-day, lifetime endeavor.
(from THE GRITS GUIDE TO LIFE, story by Sandy Eichelberger)



Although this story comes from my GRITS (Girls Raised In The South) book,
I think it covers most every one of us. . .everywhere. . .
It's certainly worth a little thought. . .
for Moms, GrandMoms, and Great Aunts (like me).

So excuse me while I go 'season a pot'. . .with a little love. . .

A PERFECTLY SEASONED SUNDAY TO YOU
 


6 comments:

Margs Primitive Quilts said...

Hello there...I enjoyed your post today so much. Talk about " seasoning" I well remember one time a lady called our farm for some wood for her fireplace. Is it seasoned she asked? Seasoned, I thought ! What type of " seasoning" would you put on firewood? I never heard the expression before. Needless to say my FIL got his best chuckle of the day! He said it meant has it been cut and drying for more than I season .... I have had many laughs about this over all these years. So I do believe you do need to season the old black cast iron fry pans. Then things don't stick to the bottom and every time you use it...it just keeps getting better.
Have a most wonderful day.
Hugs Marg :)

Pamela Gordon said...

That was beautiful. Thank you for sharing and have a great week.

Brenda Pruitt said...

That is so true!
Brenda

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Perfect timing! We cooked pork chops, cabbage, potatoes, carrots, and onions in our dutch oven today. Cheated a little and used the oven. lol! Still tasted delicious and reminded me of being out on the prairie.
hugs,
Jann

Maureen Wyatt said...

That is such a great lesson for life! Thank you for sharing and I'll be sure to pay attention to how I season things.

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Love it! We acquired a new cast iron skillet this year. Thankfully it came "pre-seasoned". But it still take a bit to break it in.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...